Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Meet the girls!

I'm pleased to introduce Joyce, Maud and Betty - the newest members of our sharehouse, which is living up to its nickname of The Fitzroy Farmhouse more and more each day! See their little bums sticking up in the air amongst the silverbeet?


This is Joyce, who rules the roost:


This is Maud:


And Betty refused to stay still for a photo, so she can be introduced at a later date.

It's lovely to have little companions clucking around the garden, although they do wreak havoc at times and they're not really laying very many eggs. Luckily we got them for free from a friend, and we got seven tons (!) of barley for free so it hasn't exacty been a difficult equation in terms of money spent vs eggs gained. They love banana, silverbeet, warrigal greens and porridge, but turn up their noses at silverbeet stems and pears. Definitely fussy urban chooks. We still like them though!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen! I'm Sam and I live in Sydney. I came across your blog through a link on Down To Earth. I am now following you as I absolutely LOVE your veggie garden and want to keep an eye on how your garden grows :-)

    ReplyDelete