Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Garden Inspiration

We were all booked in to go hiking at Wilson's Promontory this past weekend but the fires put a stop to those plans, so we rethought and instead spent the weekend down at Phillip Island.

We did all the touristy things like seeing the penguin parade, and we had some lovely time on the beach. We stayed in a fantastic hostel, The Chill House, which had a beautiful vegie garden.
But for me, the highlight of the weekend was probably an impromptu stop at the Australian Garden at the Royal Botanic Gardens in Cranbourne on our way to the island.

I had so much fun here, and found it very inspirational. I was particularly enamoured with their collection of kangaroo paws and grevilleas.

Kangaroo Paws:


Grevilleas:


So enamoured that we now have one grevillea and two pots of kangaroo paws. And a protea for good measure, seeing as I was going down a drought resistant garden route. Now I just have to try not to become as obsessed with grevilleas as a couple I saw profiled on Gardening Australia, who had a massive property devoted solely to cultivating grevilleas. (But I can kind of understand it - there are so many colours and shapes and sizes!)

No comments:

Post a Comment